Message from the CEO
Dear AmCham Members,
Over the last three and a half years, we have seen the Chamber transform into a strong and successful organisation with consistent improvement to better serve you and your business. Namely:
- We restructured our membership levels including the benefits and services for each level, and we now have over 75% of our membership at Platinum level;
- We updated our website into a functioning tool for members;
- An AmCham monthly business newsletter was introduced;
- AmCham signed several important MOUs – Oxford Business Group, UBER, East African Trade and Investment Hub, and the Corporate Council of Africa;
- AmCham was published in newspaper articles, and interviewed on radio in response to the US/Kenya business relationship;
- Our programme with the US Embassy on expedited visa interviews now offers Platinum members a 5-Year visa as opposed to 1 year, and includes facilitation to family members;
- We started AmCham CSR donating money to several organisations;
- An AmCham twitter account was created and has grown significantly in followers over the years;
- An Amcham general directory and Platinum directory was introduced;
- We introduced functioning committees to assist in advocating members’ issues with the government in relation to business impediments in the country, and have submitted several position papers - among them: Proposed reforms by AmCham in taxation, Nomination of freight containers to container freight stations by the Kenya Ports Authority; Fast tracking of the national single window clearing system; Joint collaboration of AmCham, BCCK and GBA to the Immigration Department to authorise the issuance of 150 delayed work permits between our organisations; Participation in the Kenya Tourism Strategy Strategic Direction; and an AmCham Tourism Recovery Plan;
- We introduced Breakfast Business Meetings, alongside our Business Luncheon Meetings, and invited speakers who addressed the business climate more specifically to our members’ needs – among them: Suresh Samuel – OPIC, Silvester Kasuku – LAPSSET Corridor Development Authority, Finn Holm Olsen – AGOA / USAID, East African Trade and Investment Hub, CS Hon. Adan Mohamed – Ministry of Industry, Trade & Cooperatives, Principal Secretary Fatuma Hirsi Mohamed – Ministry of Tourism, Ambassador Reuben Brigety, and Brandon Mergoden and Joanna Hect - USTDA East & Central Africa Country Manager, USTDA Power Africa Portfolio;
- More conferences, trade missions and B2B meetings were held for members over the last three years; and
- We continued to organise our annual Corporate Golf Day and Thanksgiving Ball, with a higher attendance each year.
It is clear from the above accomplishments that we as AmCham have made significant progress towards a successful and professional organisation, which I sincerely am proud to have been a part of.
I would like to thank you all for the support you have provided to the Chamber during my tenure, and through all the challenges faced while we progressed with our restructuring. I wish you all the best for the holidays ahead, and for an incredible and successful 2017.
Please note that I will no longer be on the contact details below as from Tuesday 6th December, 2016. I can be reached at email address: email@example.com or mobile number: 0788 628 686.